• You've discovered EC Tunnel 💵🫱🏻‍🫲🏾 a marketplace for EverQuest players, not farmers or dealers. This site is ad-free and there are no selling fees, because we're 100% funded by our awesome community 😇 If you're looking to buy someone's beloved main character 🧙‍♂️ you'll find it here. Join up and say hello! 👋

Safety discussion (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicesandwiches

Caveat Emptor: UNVERIFIED
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
With the recent spate of being scammed, shouldn't we introduce a minimum post count for POSTING in the bazaar? It's not stopping people buying but certainly may reduce the amount of dodgy topics!

I mean, I'm in no way stating this persons validity or not but 200$ for a 100 zerker with the amount of aa's and all expansions seems to be a hook, right? And only 4 posts...

Re: 100 Berserker with epic 2.0 5800+ aa's 500kpp and Krono

no amount of min posts will determine a scammer or not.

I know - but it would certainly be a pain to someone if they have to post... say, 30 or 40 posts before they can sell...

Oh I understand what you are saying and sorry I havent used this site multiple times in the past. I have done 1 deal ( purchasing ) an account couple weeks ago. But I can log in the character and show you . I can chat with you on the phone. But I get the feeling you arent wanting to buy -but wanting to add your 2 cents.

It's not meant to be disrespectful Muegge! We've just had a lot of scammers recently and, for some reason, I couldn't post into the bazaar on my iPad for some reason so chose your post. If I had 200$ and a server transfer token to AB, I would take you up on it!

Solutions:
  • There is a certain forum here where you can sell only to other RG members.
  • You can make your own rule where you won't buy from anyone with less than x number of posts.
  • You can find out if anyone would like to help moderate the bazaar forum, and keep an eye on user's details to help stop scammers.

I see, through scanning alot of the posts etc ,that scammers are here and there. Unfortunately I dont post on this site or contribute to the macros etc. I can't see how I would increase my post count or show how reputable of a person I am without doing that. Any tips or suggestions would be welcome.

If people are going to scam, they're going to scam. Ultimately, what even Redbot was hinting at (or at least how I read it), is to use your own judgement. Talk to the person, verify things on your own, do things to keep yourself safe.

Don't paypal gift, pay the extra $5 or $10 to cover the seller's fee for not sending as a gift to really make sure you can get your money back.

no I had a bad dealing once with a guy and the ladie at paypal " long winded" told me a lot and basically this guy had scammed a lot of folks knowing pay pal gaurentee didn't cover virtual items, she did offer me half the money back because I was a very loyal customer ie: started my account first 6 months paypal opened, and had spotless rep but official thing is they don't covor virtual currency or items.

I've given this alot of thought lately mostly because I was one of the victims of the scams. This person on redguides name = onetwo paypal name = Joel Ivy took me for 100 $ the only way imo that a person could see passed this is have a 3rd party somehow who would varify the account, also the money that was being sent. Kind of like Amazon does their business. We need a Middle Man. Someone trustworthy and that has long good standing rep. That being said this person should also get some sort of fee for doing this for everyone. What do you guys think?

I've given this alot of thought lately mostly because I was one of the victims of the scams. This person on redguides name = onetwo paypal name = Joel Ivy took me for 100 $ the only way imo that a person could see passed this is have a 3rd party somehow who would varify the account, also the money that was being sent. Kind of like Amazon does their business. We need a Middle Man. Someone trustworthy and that has long good standing rep. That being said this person should also get some sort of fee for doing this for everyone. What do you guys think?

I like the thought of it if the fee is very low/reasonable, but not sure how practical it is. If you're buying an account and pay via paypal, can you argue that you never received the account if you were scammed or would that also be considered a "virtual" item?

well with an established mediator trustworthy etc. I wouldn't question it tbh. that being said there would probably have to be 2 paypal transactions. not sure what can be done . but im interested in any idea that would make this a safer more secure way to handle virtual goods.

A mediator/middleman is a useful tool, however often times they are just as much at risk as the people involved. There would have to be very defined rules to the process.

Example;
Seller has an account on p99, says there is 4 level 50's all Planar w/epics. Buyer is offering to pay $450.

They both agree to the middleman service, in which the person handling it gets a reasonable fee (flat $5 up to 75, $10 for 76-150, etc...).

The middle man first receives the account info to verify it is legit, and changes the information temporarily, pending payment from the buyer. Once payment is received by the middleman, he then forwards the amount, minus the fee to the seller and transfers the account to the buyer.
It's a pretty simple processes though it requires someone that is willing to deal with all of the hassle and is available many hours. I personally wouldn't offer the service to anyone that didn't have some sort of reputation or post count though, as a scammer could just as easily make them the target.

that's where player auctions was created however they have just as many problems douchebags will always figure out a way to screw a person if they are so inclined , they put more thought into it and usally its a circle of friends who figure these things out.

Heck, if I had some more history on this site I would be happy to help the Bazaar forum since I enjoy buying/selling/trading. I just stumbled across this site recently and quickly realized how valuable the information is and most of the regulars I've interacted with have been great as well. Unfortunately my work schedule would prevent me from offering to step up and do a middleman service. I hate making people wait (I'm quite impatient myself heh) and slowing down the processes isn't fair.

Another option is charging RedCents/Membership/Flat Fee for listings?

There's never going to be a perfect or scambag free method, but if something doesn't seem right, it probably isn't worth going through with the deal.

If people are going to scam, they're going to scam. Ultimately, what even Redbot was hinting at (or at least how I read it), is to use your own judgement. Talk to the person, verify things on your own, do things to keep yourself safe.

Don't paypal gift, pay the extra $5 or $10 to cover the seller's fee for not sending as a gift to really make sure you can get your money back.

AFAIK you dont get your money back for virtual goods.

this is a real bad time for p99 players i am sure i seen like 6 banns in the passed week.
my heart goes out to the ones that lost money..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back