• You've discovered EC Tunnel 💵🫱🏻‍🫲🏾 a marketplace for EverQuest players, not farmers or dealers. This site is ad-free and there are no selling fees, because we're 100% funded by our awesome community 😇 If you're looking to buy someone's beloved main character 🧙‍♂️ you'll find it here. Join up and say hello! 👋

WoW Moderator (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Up until this point, I have kept my posts light-hearted or non-existent on this issue.

Being the target of these attacks, I would like to point out a few things that may either shed some light, or just continue to fuel the flames - either way my opinion will be known.

First, I was chosen as a moderator based upon not just Red Guides, but ability as a leader in other areas, including real-life. The ability to remain impartial and avoid drama for the most part is a characteristic that many moderators lack in other forums around the web, and therefore forum "cliques" develop. This is not a political forum or a place for uneducated debates, but is supposed to be an outlet for creativity, game discussions, cheats, guides, and other information surrounding MMOs.

Second, I would totally agree with Wilbur, Bladee, and the "silent masses" that have been referred to in this thread if I was chosen as a Section Leader. A Section Leader should be a well-known member of the community and have huge accomplishments or contributions. A moderator is more of a "helper" position to "wrangle the tard threads".

I have nothing to prove to anyone. This is just a forum on the Internet - albeit a great one - not the be-all end-all of life. If certain members do not agree with RedBema or Redbot, or even myself, then so be it - this isn't a popularity contest or a Care Bear adventure.

The bottomline is I was chosen to do a job - and that job is to moderate the World of Warcraft forums. Let my actions speak for me over time before deciding if I was a weak choice or if I am substandard.

Or, if you don't agree with that rationale, there are plenty of other forums for you on the wide-open Internet.

jeeeez,,, lets all calm down.. give the guy a chance see how bad good he is, and judge him then...
we all want to help this forums being a moderater or a member, its all same,, just put ur hands togeather and move this site up the sky....

agree2.gif

I must say, that while me defending Kevin does not make me mature, me not causing drama and not acting like a kid does according to most people. Bladee, Wilbur, decker, you are so mad at kevin for getting moderator while you did not, why won't you give him a chance? You say you haven't heard of him before, which is why you shouldn't judge him without knowing anything about him, as you seem to claim. He has made a few new strategy posts in the WoW forums, levels 1 and 2, and they are very good posts. Also, you state that people who have been here for a long time should have more of a say in what goes on so....
Bladee: June 2006.
RedBema: October 2005.
Wilbur: June 2005.
decker: April 2005.
Stormdruid: April 2005.
Cade: Feb 2005.
Rebot: October 2004.

So let's see by your ideas, Cade and Redbot get the most say, then decker and I, then wilbur, then RedBema, then you. Well unfortunately, it doesn't work like this. These forums are NOT a democracy, last I checked. There may be some democratic processes, but Redbot gets the final say, as he owns the site. Be glad people listen and take the time to respond to your opinions, quite frankly, if they want to, they can ban you for outright defying them, and for flaming their new moderator, who also outranks you because of his status. I really thought more of you guys, but I can see that I was wrong. I'm past attempting to be nice. You are acting like 6 year old children. Stop causing drama. Deal with it. If kevin wasn't a good moderator choice, then the staff would not have picked him. By their reasoning, he is a better choice for a moderator than you. Deal with it. You don't need moderator status, let him prove his worth, but please, making a scapegoat out of someone who has done NOTHING to harm you is never right. Ever.
-Storm

Can I be a mod? I am not a very good one since I only randomly post on here for spurts of a few days every couple of months. But I have a cool picture of my cat for my avatard. I am even so impartial that I wouldn't moderate anything. I just need the boost to my epeen so when I flirt with chicks in MMOs I can really lay the pipe down. I also have mod experience! I am a mod on another gaming site with as many as 10 active posters some days!

I am still confused btw.

Also, you state that people who have been here for a long time should have more of a say in what goes on so....

Where did we ever say that?

So let's see by your ideas, Cade and Redbot get the most say, then decker and I, then wilbur, then RedBema, then you. Well unfortunately, it doesn't work like this.

Cheers for pointing it out, I'm not sure my tiny brain could have worked this one out by itself.

I really thought more of you guys, but I can see that I was wrong. I'm past attempting to be nice. You are acting like 6 year old children. Stop causing drama. Deal with it.

Up until now, we haven't been at all hostile, although posts like this really grate on me and bring me ever closer to flaming your little idiot ass, although don't take this the wrong way, I'm still attempting to be nice.

If kevin wasn't a good moderator choice, then the staff would not have picked him. By their reasoning, he is a better choice for a moderator than you. Deal with it. You don't need moderator status, let him prove his worth

I'm sure he is good, I'm sure he's gods gift to moderation, my *problem* as I have CLEARLY stated numerous times, is that we he was a) Not hugely active b) Not well known and c) THESE WERE TWO OF THE CRITERIA.

Unless someone baits me again, this'll be my last post on the matter, as I feel it has reached a satisfactory conclusion. I've spoken to people in private and had some of my fears alliviated.

Bladee, Wilbur, decker, you are so mad at kevin for getting moderator while you did not, why won't you give him a chance?

Awwww, you sure you read my post?

I said:

Me said:
I hope that Kevin73 will become known with time. And I'm sure that he would not have been chosen if Redbema didn’t have an idea with it.

Then that I ofc know how they fell but I don't think that I have said that he should not have a chance.. I meant to say the opposite...

- decker

Haha, thats funny. What I see now that some people like stormdruid are baiting me and Wil to keep on posting. You are the one who is acting childish, since me and Wil are done with this thread, but no, you were forced to come and say people are childish only for stating what they are thinking.

Listen to your self guys. You are saying that people are childish for speaking out that new mod might be wrong choice. What is your problem? That is our opinion and you have to respect it, tho you have rights to question it.

I never, ever said that Kevin is a bad person, or he doesnt know anything about WoW. My point were that he were not fitting the criteria admins wrote. I am quite sure that he will be a good contributer, after some time.

Back to you stormdruid. Acting like 6 years old? I doubt that 6years old can even type, so your statment fails already there. I am free to say what ever I think about the choice of mod on the forums I am contributing to, special if he were not fitting any criteria except good english.

I think you are the one who acting childish coming and flaming us without even understanding what we are trying to say. I will say it once more, and even in bold so you might success to read it now: I am fine with someone else getting mod then me, I understand that I am not quite right for it. But I think there are better persons then Kevin, and that making a totally unknown to community guy mod is wrong. I dont care about facts that he proven him selfs in PM or something. And I have rights to say my opinion to comunity. Admins should follow their own rules.

I know atleast 5 people more who dissagree with choice of mod strongly (And who have not applied to the position, which makes their opinions neutral), they just dont want to get in trouble with mod, so they avoid to post their opinions. If there are quite many people who thinks it is wrong, we might have a god damn point?

Thanks to you and some othern people this thread turned from a question to admins into flamewar.

I will say as Wilbur. I am done here unless any other child would like to come in and bait us.

P.S. Yes, my english may suck I dont have my spell check on, and due to me typing to fast I might have many spelling errors, cba to check em all.

I think you are the one who acting childish coming and flaming us without even understanding what we are trying to say. I will say it once more, and even in bold so you might success to read it now: I am fine with someone else getting mod then me, I understand that I am not quite right for it. But I think there are better persons then Kevin, and that making a totally unknown to community guy mod is wrong. I dont care about facts that he proven him selfs in PM or something. And I have rights to say my opinion to comunity. Admins should follow their own rules.

QFT, no one is attacking Kevin, to my knowledge. I think they've obviously made it clear they don't even know the guy, which further proves their point.

The point I was trying to make is that there is no "one" person that has to be a mod. It's really up to the other moderators, there is really nobody perfect for the job.

The point I was trying to make is that there is no "one" person that has to be a mod. It's really up to the other moderators, there is really nobody perfect for the job.

And while I'm not going to delve much further, I think we should all sit back and allow the leadership here to choose who they wish. Sure, it's fine to question it, and to even ask for reasons why someone was chosen, but I believe this thread went way over the line.

Too much "WTF didn't you pick me?!" and not enough "Well, I might not agree with it, but I'll live with it. It's your site, but let's get to know the guy and then judge if it was a good choice!" That's just my honest opinion. So, let me say, Congratulations Kevin, I hope to see some great things from you. Mediocre things would be ok, but great things would be better. ; )

I stand by the mods and admins here as they've always done their best to keep the community together through all of the drama that's unfolded over the years. Props to them as well.

~Mac

Last edited:
Was there a lot of heavy moderation on redguides or something? I think there were at most a couple of occasions moderation was neccessary on NA in the past year or so. So long as the site remains entertaining and no one is being a forum nazi does it really make even the tiniest bit of difference who has mod powers? The best mods in my opinion are those that you never even notice. The guys who clean up the stupid spam and keep the ridiculous flame fests from getting out of control without really interfering in the threads that keep the boards moving.

I don't know who the hell Kevin is but I'm sure that on the off chance he turns out to be a complete douche then he will find his mod priveledges revoked. I don't think any of the folks that expend their time and effort to keep this site or its predecessors up are going to stand behind someone that drives their members away.

Maybe I am missing something, was there like a gold plated e-peen extender that was awarded to the new mod? This seems a bit excessive over someone being made a mod on a gaming message board. *shrug*

mven said:
Was there a lot of heavy moderation on redguides or something?

Actually the exact opposite, there was definately not enough filtering of bad/good posts, so a new mod was always needed, but alas when they were actually recruiting they chose one who nobody really agrees with.

but alas when they were actually recruiting they chose one who nobody really agrees with.

Actually, they chose someone a very minute number of people didn't agree with. In fact, from reading this thread there were 4-5 people who spoke up against it. As of right now the site has 109,122 members, so roughly .0046% of the membership here was hurt enough by the decision to openly cause a scene about it. The other 99.9954% of the users here didn't see a reason to complain. Just thought I'd throw some statistics out there since you said that NOBODY agreed with it.

Actually, they chose someone a very minute number of people didn't agree with. In fact, from reading this thread there were 4-5 people who spoke up against it. As of right now the site has 109,122 members, so roughly .0046% of the membership here was hurt enough by the decision to openly cause a scene about it. The other 99.9954% of the users here didn't see a reason to complain. Just thought I'd throw some statistics out there since you said that NOBODY agreed with it.

There is some more statistics Mac, of those 100,000 members at the moment only 1000 are active (By active I mean that they bother to log in atleast once a week). Of those 1000 I would say 950 are leechers who doesn't cares about anything else then guides being posted. Of those 50 active members who are left, half comes from NA, and are not really aware of why RedGuides members not happy with new mod, so it is not really right to count them in.

That leaves us with 25 members active members, who are aware about what were going on. 5 people of 25 is 20% already, besides I know more people who disagree with decision, but just doesn't want to speak up.

(Btw, if those 80% are not speaking against the choice of mod, it doesn't means they are ok with it either.)

Last edited:
There is some more statistics Mac, of those 100,000 members at the moment only 1000 are active (By active I mean that they bother to log in atleast once a week). Of those 1000 I would say 950 are leechers who doesn't cares about anything else then guides being posted. Of those 50 active members who are left, half comes from NA, and are not really aware of why RedGuides members not happy with new mod, so it is not really right to count them in.

That leaves us with 25 members active members, who are aware about what were going on. 5 people of 25 is 20% already, besides I know more people who disagree with decision, but just doesn't want to speak up.

(Btw, if those 80% are not speaking against the choice of mod, it doesn't means they are ok with it either.)

Ok. I realize I'm going to get a lot of people talking back about my post. I was only trying to prove a point. I'm aware that not all of those members are active, and even if less than 1/10th of them are active, it would be a misquote to say that NOBODY agreed with the decision.

Let's go off of how many registered users visited the site yesterday. There were 296. 5/296x100=1.69%. And Bladee is right, there are people who aren't happy who didn't speak up. So let's say 10 more people out of the 296 that were able to view this thread is still 15/296 or 5.07%. It's still not nobody.

Sorry. I'm not trying to attack anyone with this, so I hope no one takes it that way. I would just like us to move on from this discussion really.

Ok. I realize I'm going to get a lot of people talking back about my post. I was only trying to prove a point. I'm aware that not all of those members are active, and even if less than 1/10th of them are active, it would be a misquote to say that NOBODY agreed with the decision.

Let's go off of how many registered users visited the site yesterday. There were 296. 5/296x100=1.69%. And Bladee is right, there are people who aren't happy who didn't speak up. So let's say 10 more people out of the 296 that were able to view this thread is still 15/296 or 5.07%. It's still not nobody.

Sorry. I'm not trying to attack anyone with this, so I hope no one takes it that way. I would just like us to move on from this discussion really.

You once again missed that of those 300 who visited us, 250 dont give a shit about anything else then guides being posted. It is like to say:
Hey, I you dont wanna have that man for boss? Well, guess what, there are billions of people in the world and they are not against it"..
They dont give a shit.

Anybody who really cares about this topic will have read through the thread and be replying to it, and those that care are against it.

Wow, this thread is still kicking!

Knowing that the moderator position is unpaid volunteer work, I'm glad there's so much excitement and desire to hold the position.

If selecting a moderator were based on popularity, or it were an extra reward for being a great contributor, then many users in this thread would be a moderator. And that would be great, as some of you would be quite good.

But we have enough moderation for the time being. NotAddicted is beginning to expand, so we will quite likely need more in the future. When we start looking for more, I can tell you we won't base our decision on seniority, amount of great posts, or popularity. We will base it on the amount of time one is able to spend on the site, expertise in areas of the game we lack, and most of all impartiality.

In the meantime, if you can do some organizing yourself without magical moderator powers, do it. If you can encourage good users to post more without the wonderous ability to close threads, please do. If the current staff is lagging in their job of organizing threads, thread necromancy, or thread derailment - then let us know in the SIS forum and we'll consider expanding again.

I stopped reading about halfway through, too many posts. From what I read though, Wilbur from the bottom of my heart you would not be a good MOD. You're always bashing and ranting how you're better than anyone. I have never seen one of your posts in my entire life and I don't play WoW, but just from what I've seen here I wouldn't give the job to you. You seriously need to just drop it.

To decker: I really respect you for those posts. You didn't show any anger towards Kevin, or brag about yourself, or hate that he's an mod. You made a very geniune response to the fact he became an mod, and that makes me think you would be just as good as him.

To Bladee: You seemed sort of upset more about the fact that you weren't picked simply on your english typing abilities than the fact that Kevin was picked over you. I think it would have looked better for you if you simply said nothing, but I do understand your response. I think that you at least handled yourself better than Wilbur, who simply won't drop it. **Just read a little more, and now I'm saying you need to drop it too.*

Keep in mind I didn't read both pages, but I read most of the first page and this is my response after reading that. Also, think about what you're doing. NA is clearly not going to just fire a MOD from a couple of angry posters thoughts, so why bother hating on this guy so much. Why not just be a man, suck it up and keep helping the community. The only job a MOD has just takes more time and energy from your day, and whether you want it because you want to be recognized or you just want to help more I don't think it's worth all this hate towards Steve, he didn't ask to be chosen. He simply applied along with the rest of you.

-UnKnoWn

Last edited by a moderator:
An unbiased assessment from the outside looking in...

I've had the pleasure of reading NA for roughly a year, and I'm very glad to see that the actual site has returned, though substantially different from what I was accustomed.

First off, I'd like to applaud Storm. From your posts, I'd never think you were half my age, and you display a maturity that's unfortunately rare on many WoW-related forums.

Second, the above post by Unknown is spot-on, as is a prior post by Mven. I can't recall but 2 or 3 times where moderation was necessary on the old NA, and it was done in a very tactful manner. As Redbot states, being a Mod is unpaid volunteer work, and from the responses Kevin has made, he's handled himself in a mature, disciplined manner.

Again, this is from asshat forum troll (me) who has a very unbiased view of this thread. I don't know Kevin, Wilbur, Decker, or Bladee from Adam, but in my opinion it seems Wilbur is definitely burning a cross for Kevin, and his manner of argument is, frankly, juvenile. As was stated previously, those complaining the most about not being a Mod definitely don't deserve the job.

Anyways, /endrant. It's good to see a little drama to get the e-blood flowing, but I think this thread's pretty well played out; any further bitching and complaining about the "end of Democracy" or any other nonsensical horseshit in that vein would ultimately be counter productive.

*RedBema re-enters the scene*

I just wanted to make a couple of remarks before I toss in the hat.

1. Mven, I have no idea who you are, but your posts make me laugh, and I enjoy laughing.
2. Storm, If I remember right, you are in your teens, (I apologize if I am wrong). You display much maturity for your age.
3. Redbot should run for president.

Dont make me laugh anymore please by saying that people who state their opinions are unmature,only because they disagree with you. It is just so wrong.

Last edited:
In my humble opinion, all of you need to grow up and let this thread die. This issue has been covered and it doesn't require anymore comments or opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back