• You've discovered EC Tunnel 💵🫱🏻‍🫲🏾 a marketplace for EverQuest players, not farmers or dealers. This site is ad-free and there are no selling fees, because we're 100% funded by our awesome community 😇 If you're looking to buy someone's beloved main character 🧙‍♂️ you'll find it here. Join up and say hello! 👋

Scammer: Dummy accounted (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayherdabel

Caveat Emptor: UNVERIFIED
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Username: Lance
Email: [email protected]
Name: L***** C*****
Phone: N/A

Account:
46 geared monk, epic, fungi, etc.

How the transaction went down:
I'm stupid and trusting. Sent money, he sent dummy email + dummy EQ login account. Ended up with an empty account. Then he logged off for good.
Do NOT trust this. Says he has Facebook, been a member since 2007. I did very little research and, as hindsight is 20/20, it's not so hard to see that this guy is not trustworthy.

Please save yourself the trouble if you see him again.

EDIT: add Skype contact

Username: Lance
Email: [email protected]
Name: L***** C*****
Phone: N/A

Account:
46 geared monk, epic, fungi, etc.

How the transaction went down:
I'm stupid and trusting. Sent money, he sent dummy email + dummy EQ login account. Ended up with an empty account. Then he logged off for good.
Do NOT trust this. Says he has Facebook, been a member since 2007. I did very little research and, as hindsight is 20/20, it's not so hard to see that this guy is not trustworthy.

Please save yourself the trouble if you see him again.

EDIT: add Skype contact

I was about to send him money, but thankfully Google Wallet doesn't work in Canada, so I dodged that bullet. Thanks for flagging.

I had originally told him that I would only do this through a middle man and he said how that seemed sketchy. I should've known right then.

Title confused me - we usually call "dummy accounts" people who make two accounts on redguides, and we ban the dummy.

Lance banned for scamming.

im so glad i didnt fall for it. I almost posted something on forums to since he acted strange near the end of our chat, but really had no proof of him being a scammer and didnt want to fuck his sale up if he really was legit.

I contacted him, we added eachother on skype etc... We ended up trading numbers, i called him, number was legit. I ALMOST, ALMOST, sent him the money after that, but i had a wierd feeling the acct was banned for some reason so asked to see it first in game or go through a middle man. Since i have plenty of feedback as a buyer and Arcane doesnt do escrow services anymore due to security i offered to pay him 50$ first to see the account in game, just to prove his end of the deal, then i send the rest of the money, once hes has the full amount i then get the rest of info....he refused and kept saying he was paranoid and wanted to keep acct anon. Which is fine, i like anon accounts more than anything, but after showing him all my feedback as a buyer, my facebook, my number, and 50 bucks first just to see his toon is legit and then him still not wanting to show just made it sketchy for me. anyways, sry to hear u were dumb enough, always take extra precaution.

I always look at it this way, if the seller really wants to sell an account or anything else, they will be a good salesman and show effort in selling. For example i almost bought a 55 cleric Monday (or Tuesday) from forum name: Accountseller - Skype: Akex ''Trelly'' Bailey , but the kid almost never answered (very very slow to answer then only with a short answer) and his last message was, ''sec let me figure out the email again to the account'', 4 days later still no answer. Shit like that are huge flags for a scammer. Im not saying he is a scammer or tried to scam me, but i wont buy from him now even after we made a price and i said i would buy it right away if he could give me a straight answer on the email and everything. Bad salesman or he really is a scammer. Thats just 1 example.

Redbot here is a question for you - what should i do in situations like these? Post it and warn others even if im not 100% sure he is a scammer and possibly ruin his auction? Like this Accountseller guy with the Cleric (alex). He could be legit as Arcane or yourself, but just didnt want to talk to me or who knows what....

If something's fishy, by all means speak up in the seller's thread, a new thread, wherever you can. A good seller will ensure his customers are satisfied, even the skeptical ones.

I've never banned anyone for trying to protect others, nor will I. The only time I think it's rude is when it's the same issue being brought up over and over, and the seller has already answered it in the thread earlier. But so long as it's in good faith and you're not just trolling, I'm on your side.

Always deal through Paypal in my experience. And make sure they are Paypal verified. They actually have to goto a bank and show an I.D. to setup a bank account. So there is a lower chance of getting scammed if you ask for Paypal Verification status first. Its funny, I deal with scammers all the time, asking for some item or currency I'm selling. When I ask them for paypal verification, they always come up with some excuse like " oh thats my gf's email" or I'm at my friends place and that;s his email, "oh I can't seem to get it to work on Paypal for some reason, something wrong with Paypal when I try to verify", its pretty obvious....

Second check post counts of people before you do any trades, usually people with low post counts < 20 are the ones to watch out for (yikes my post count is low on these forums). If the post count is low, check their posts and see if they are writing anything meaningful on the forums, or posts that are pretty short that have no value. You can also PM the forum mods and ask for an ip address check comparison to other members, to see if they are duplicating dummy accounts, but even that has limitations.

Now having said all that there is still no guarantee you won't get scammed, but it will sure lower your chances of being scammed.

+1. Btw mostly all scammers are kids or young adults which explains the paypal not being verified usually. One thing i would also like to add, this Lance guy, he kept saying how busy he was on the phone and kept everything very short. There was also multiple wierd sounds in the background and he kept saying oh my kid, this and that.... my guess is he didnt even have a kid. was just a wierd convo. I mean who keeps talking about his kid with someone on the phone you dont know at all who is buying your eq account? shit like that just doesnt add up so always stay with your gut feeling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back