• You've discovered EC Tunnel 💵🫱🏻‍🫲🏾 a marketplace for EverQuest players, not farmers or dealers. This site is ad-free and there are no selling fees, because we're 100% funded by our awesome community 😇 If you're looking to buy someone's beloved main character 🧙‍♂️ you'll find it here. Join up and say hello! 👋

working compile (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jigs21 said:
You must post a source, untill then, I have removed your zip file.
read the GPL.

Providing a public link to the exact source I used to compile is not a violation, I'm 99% sure, under the sixth clause.

The reason for posting the source is so that we know that it will be there for the time needed. There is no guarantee that the mq2 site will be up until the time required by the gpl is up.

siddin said:
The reason for posting the source is so that we know that it will be there for the time needed. There is no guarantee that the mq2 site will be up until the time required by the gpl is up.
the MQ2 site has been up for half a dozen years.

Compiles here are distributed for what, a month?

I'm pretty sure I can guarantee that I will not be distributing my compile at a point when the link to source that I posted is no longer valid -- and I believe you are only obligated to keep source available as long as you are distributing the object code. Moreover, this would not be a violation of the GPL until the MQ site went down, and even then I could just gank the compile down.

So -- although there are certainly GPL violations in the MQ project as well as redguides -- I'm pretty confident this doesn't count as one.

If you even modify the code, you have to have your source posted. So, basically if you did a precompile with the MQ2Auth Check removed, you have to post your source, no questions asked. It's the law.

jmo1985 said:
If you even modify the code, you have to have your source posted. So, basically if you did a precompile with the MQ2Auth Check removed, you have to post your source, no questions asked. It's the law.
a) It's a license, not the law.

b) MQ2Auth and Macroquest2.exe, the only two things modified, are NOT open source and NOT covered by the GPL.

It's a license and they can sue you over it, so it's the law. And MQ2Auth and Macroquest2.exe are included in their open source, therefore if you modify them, you have to supply the modified version. I don't even understand why you're arguing over it. Two mods have already told you you have to post it, so stop bitching and if you want to post a compile post the source with it. Enough said.

jmo1985 said:
It's a license and they can sue you over it, so it's the law.
This is comparable to saying that the EULA is also a license, so sony can sue us over using MQ2, so MQ2 is against the law.

And MQ2Auth and Macroquest2.exe are included in their open source, therefore if you modify them, you have to supply the modified version.
It is a requirement of the GPL that all things covered by a GPL license are open source. Some of the original MQ people did not want to release the injector (macroquest2.exe) or the loader (mq2auth.exe) source code, for fairly obvious reasons, so they are not covered by the GPL.

Enough is enough. These have been the rules of redguides for quite some time now. You have to post the source that you make the compile with. No more arguments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back