• You've discovered EC Tunnel 💵🫱🏻‍🫲🏾 a marketplace for EverQuest players, not farmers or dealers. This site is ad-free and there are no selling fees, because we're 100% funded by our awesome community 😇 If you're looking to buy someone's beloved main character 🧙‍♂️ you'll find it here. Join up and say hello! 👋

Question Discussion Friends and Family and PayPal (1 Viewer)

Rating - 100%
8   0   1
Let's talk about this....

People seem to think that sending money via FF is somehow safer.
If I call Chase and report a transaction as fraud they refund my money. It trumps any sort of protection that PayPal claims to offer.

Paypal almost always will support the person sending the money anyways during disputes.
I've been buying and selling items on EQ for over 15 years (among other games).
The seller is the seller if that's how they want it sent great, but don't fool yourself that PayPal actually is going to save you if you do happen to run across some scumbag.

They held onto $1,500 this week, making interest off of it because some people didn't mention if they wanted money sent FF or a regular payment. Obviously again they can do what they want, they are the ones in control but it would be nice if someone started a PayPal like service that actually cared about the people using their system.

I'm sure someone can shoot holes into half of what i'm saying the fact still remains that how a payment is sent has almost zero effect on what happens after the RMT happens.

Just like the banks if you receive and EMT and the person goes to the bank and says its fraud you will end up taking the loss and they will get the money back UNLESS you have outstanding proof of a business transaction. for instance I had sold a galaxy note 8 brand new in the box to someone and they claimed they were out of the city for business and got their friend to meet me. i called them on the phone they did the EMT on the spot but it came from a womans account so i assumed it was a gf or something. the person ended up going to the bank saying it was fraud and they held the funds and accused me of fraud. I ended up having to go to the bank with images of the whole text conversations emails and an invoice i had created under my registered business etc. eventually they let me have my money because they realized I was defrauded as well as the account holder. They basically told me I got lucky and in this situation usually I would be the one to lose the money. Point of the story is the person sending the money will always have the upper hand.

There are other advantages to friends and family. One is not being charged a fee. I wouldn’t mind a fee if I were actually protected. It is also harder to screw someone using FnF. Most people don’t use FnF with a card as they are charged a fee (bank accounts and PayPal balance is no fee).

There are other advantages to friends and family. One is not being charged a fee. I wouldn’t mind a fee if I were actually protected. It is also harder to screw someone using FnF. Most people don’t use FnF with a card as they are charged a fee (bank accounts and PayPal balance is no fee).

"It is also harder to screw someone using FnF" --- Please explain?

I didn't start this thread because of what happened, in the end we worked everything out no harm no foul.
I just don't see where this protection comes from.

I purchased an account, he claimed gear, it was stripped, I called the bank and the money was returned. It literally took 15mins of my time. I guess that was my point... I don't see how there is any protection and if the person is willing to pay an extra $10-$20 to cover the fee there is zero difference.

I'm clearly missing something but that's nothing new, lol.

The fee is part of it. It is certainly less useful on a large ticket item, but for a lot of people they deal in $20-$50 transactions. A $10-$20 fee kills most of the benefit for a small time scammer.

protection is its considered a gift. a gift legally is non refundable. the sender would have to claim fraud and prove that it was in fact fraud. the funds are not reversed immediately. the contested charge will be disputed for quite sometime. if the seller can provide proof it it wasn't a fraudulent payment then the case is dismissed.

* its much more difficult to get refunded with paypal when its gift or f&f.

When sending money through PayPal, you have 3 options: 1) paying with funds in your PayPal balance, 2) paying by credit card, and 3) paying by withdrawing funds from your bank account. If paying the payment by friends and family, 1) is the least favorable in terms of the buyer as you will need to go through PayPal to dispute your claim, 2) you can dispute and they will reimburse you first and “investigate” the claim, 3) You are basically claiming fraud and the outcome will be determined by the bank’s protocol. They might return your money the first time but don’t expect to get your money back if you do this often.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back